Our friend, Cathy Drinan, 69, died Sunday after being critically injured in a fire at her home in Plymouth. Cathy was the much loved and respected health agent for the towns of Plympton and Halifax for many years before her retirement in 2019 and a talented columnist for the Plympton-Halifax-Kingston Express.
Plymouth Fire Dept. responded to the call to the home at 10:22 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 8, after a 10-year-old neighbor saw the fire next door and alerted parents who made the 911 call to Plymouth emergency services.
One Plymouth firefighter was later transported to Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital where he was treated for first and second degree burns to his ears, neck, and back. His ears took the worst of it, Plymouth Fire Chief Ed Bradley told the Express. “This (injury) was steam burns from the water being used to control the fire. The heat was intense.”
The victim was transported via MedFlight ground crew to Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston where she later died.
The cause of the fire was likely an electrical failure in the living room, Bradley said, though the fire remains under investigation by Plymouth Fire Department investigators, along with the fire investigation troopers from the Fire Marshal’s office.