Firefighters responded to 911 calls reporting smoke coming from a dumpster near the main home on Fieldstone Farms, 21 Plymouth St., Halifax, on Saturday, on March 4.
Heavy wind and freezing temperatures could have made the fire much worse, but was quickly brought under control.
A bystander at the farm moved the flame-filled dumpster a few feet away from the house, helping to minimize the damage to the exterior of the house, said Halifax Fire Chief Jason Viveiros
The homeowner, Scott Clawson was not there when the fire began. There were no injuries to humans or animals, confirmed Viveiros.
Early estimates of damage to the home were $5,000. The department also received mutual aid from the towns of Pembroke and Hanson during the fire as they received a reported gas leak and medical calls simultaneously.