A young man in his thirties was burned over approximately 40% of his upper body after a gas grill explosion. Crews responded for a call late Sunday afternoon to a reported propane tank explosion at 131 Lake Street in Plympton. “He was taken to a burn center in Boston. The victim did not breathe in the propane, which would have compromised his airway. This was a good indicator for the man’s recovery,” he said. The victim’s name has not been released due to medical privacy. Following the investigation it appears that the man had started his grill and it went out. As he went to re-ignite the grill, propane had pooled causing the explosion.
“Propane is used all the time but if used incorrectly it can be dangerous,” said Chief Warren Borsari.
Boston Med flight was requested to airlift the victim to Boston. The landing zone was at Billingsgate Farm, said Fire Chief Warren Borsari.